Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Keeping Abreast - by Sydney

In colleges and universities nationwide, basketball teams are promoting and supporting breast cancer awareness during the month of February. This Valentine's Day my college basketball team (Go Nyack!) is wearing Pink in support of all the women out there fighting cancer during our game. It's close to home for my team, as one of our mothers was recently diagnosed. We aren't the only ones, turn on ESPN this month and you'll be seeing Pink, and lots of it.
We wear Pink in our game as a sign of our support, with Pink shoelaces, headbands, socks and T-shirts. I personally am a huge fan of lipstick, and will be wearing some bubble gum tinted cosmetics as well. Nothing too girly of course- I am a basketball player after all :-). 

There are some awesome ways you can raise awareness too! Maybe you're like me and play a sport, or participate on a team - encourage your teammates to set a date and wear Pink. You can sign petitions, buy Pink merchandise, or even "like" Breast Cancer Awareness on Facebook! My college is holding a 5K race for donations, a fun idea for you guys who like planning events! Do you make a killer red (or Pink) velvet cupcake? Hold a bake sale!  There are so many things you can do, I'm sure if all of the bright, driven, women get together we can do anything! I've listed a link below so you can get involved! 


I'd love to see pictures of your Pink-ness, so take a picture and send it to me! If you get really creative, I'll post your picture on my Facebook. 
Can't wait to read your comments! 

xoxo Sydney

Sydney McIntosh is a college freshman at Nyack College in Nyack, New York. Originally from North Pole, Alaska, Sydney was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Alaska for 2011. Learn more about Sydney here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment