Almost all of us have one. You probably log on multiple times a day and stay on for hours at the time—or even have it on your cell phone and use the mobile app. I know that I use facebook all the time and almost always have instant access to the site—whether through the computer or my cell phone.
Facebook can be a great tool for keeping up with friends, especially after high school! I belong to multiple groups, everything from my sorority, Kappa Delta, to the Distinguished Young Women facebook group. However, if used in the wrong way facebook can ruin college and employment aspirations.
I have always been really careful about the pictures and statuses I post on facebook, and you should too! Employers and even college scouts are now using facebook to get the scoop on applicants. One bad picture could seriously damper your chances at earning a scholarship, internship, or job. Listed below are the do’s and don’ts of facebook:
• Don’t post pictures while holding a cup (even if the cup is just for water!!)
• Don’t EVER post pictures where alcohol is involved
• Don’t post bikini photos or revealing photos
• Don’t post really negative statuses
• Don’t reply to messages from people you do not know
• Do set your profile to private
• Do watch who you friend or accept
• Do keep your “about you” section updated
• Do keep a close watch on what others are posting on your wall
• Do use facebook for relationship building and FUN
Facebook can really be a wonderful thing—when it is used safely and carefully!
Check out this link for more facebook tips and tricks: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/03/spring-clean-your-facebook-account
What could you do to clean up your profile or friends list?
Hannah Roberts is a college freshman at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, Mississippi majoring in Biochemistry with a Pre-medical emphasis. Originally from Mount Olive, Mississippi, Hannah was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Mississippi for 2011. Learn more about Hannah here!