Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Favorite Distinguished Men - by Veronica

Lately, it seems as if this blog has been contributed by multiple entries from my fellow Distinguished Young Women about boys – how to pick them out, waiting for Prince Charming, and more, because let’s face it, boys are a very popular subject! So, I figured I’d hop on the boy bandwagon and discuss some distinguished men that have influenced both myself and others throughout the span of their lives.

1. Tim Tebow – Known for his incredible football skills just as much as his faith, this man has well more than enough distinguished qualities. Tebow was a football all-star in high school, and then moved on to be quarterback for the University of Florida, where he led them to the national championship and won himself the Heisman Trophy. Once he graduated, he was drafted by the Denver Broncos, where he spent the last season demonstrating his unmatched ability at both rushing and passing the football. Tebow recently signed to the New York Jets, where he will continue making a splash in the NFL. However, Tebow has definitely become quite the talk and a controversy, which seemingly makes him even more attractive. He has received both praise and criticism for never denying his faith, something that shows his loyalty and devotion. Not only is he a talented quarterback and is distinguished with his amazing athletic abilities, but his sharing of his Christianity in clinics, hospitals, orphanages and more makes him an all-around phenomenal human being. Ever since Tebow entered the NFL, he became associated with the term, “Tebow-ing”, where during games, he bends down on one knee and prays. Tebowing is something that fans and non-fans alike have found themselves doing (myself included!). Tim Tebow is not only a Godly and devoted man, but a talented athlete who will continue to demonstrate his athletic ability with some of the most successful football players for years to come.  


2. Nick, Kevin, and Joe Jonas – Considering I was absolutely smitten with the Jonas Brothers when I was younger, and even saw them in concert for my 16th birthday, I had to include my favorite boy band to this list. Not only are they adorable and talented musicians, but they are known for their wholesome image as well. Coming from a religious family that included a pastor father, the Jonas Brothers wore purity rings in order to stay pure until marriage and set themselves apart from a great deal of society. It was this group of young men that even inspired me to purchase a purity ring, which I still own and wear to this day. Not only did they start their own charity, Change for the Children foundation, in order to support programs that motivate children who face adversity to succeed, but they also support and advocate for a multitude of other philanthropies. Perhaps what makes this esteemed group of young men so notable is that Nick, the youngest member of the group of brothers, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. However, instead of letting this defeat him, he has used it as a platform to reach out to a multitude of children, and even testified in front of the U.S. Senate to ask for more diabetes research funding. This group of boys will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I probably will always have a little crush on Nick Jonas. No matter how famous they get, they always lived by their family motto , “Live like you are at the bottom even if you are at the top,” in order to keep them grounded and always remind them to keep working hard to be successful and influential young men.


3. Chet Townsend – Perhaps my favorite and most distinguished member of this list is my very own father. Not only is he the absolute hardest working person I know, but he is such a devoted and dedicated member to my family. He has always encouraged and supported me in all that I do, he has been an excellent role model, and has provided me with some qualities that will help me to succeed in life. As a commercial fisherman, he is constantly on the job. Whether he wakes up at 2 AM to go out and provide my family with a source of income, or is slaving away constructing pots in the yard, or selling lobsters with our family seafood business, he is never taking it easy. I can only dream of being as hard working and accomplished as he is, and his work ethic is something I try to instill within myself. Despite his tough and hard-working qualities, his heart is absolutely one of the best I have ever known. He is sensitive and loving and no matter how hard he has worked during the day, he looks forward to coming home and putting his chef skills to the test, constantly creating delicious meals for my family. My family will forever be something that keeps me grounded and that gives me something to work towards, as I want nothing more than to make them proud and to give back to them all that they have done for me. I am eternally grateful to them and blessed beyond words to have such loving family members by my side in all that I do. 

Veronica Townsend is a college freshman at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware majoring in Fashion Merchandising. Originally from Dagsboro, Delaware, Veronica was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Delaware for 2011. Learn more about Veronica here!

No comments:

Post a Comment