Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What To Do When There's Nothing To Do - by Allii

1.    Game Nights - sometimes just pulling out good old Monopoly or going bowling can really save a night that seemed hopeless, into a night of fun and laughter. And with so many different versions of Monopoly now a days, there has got to be one just right for you and your friends!

2.    Start a Band/Music Group - That’s what I did! I am in two music groups now and between practices, recordings, and performances, I always have something to do at night. Singing never gets boring for me!

3.    Do Community Service - For a while, I was doing Community Service at a local Church because I needed it for a grade. But once my hours were finished, I kept going to that Church to help out at a youth group because I loved it there! Something that was mandatory turned into something I wanted to do! Visiting nursing homes or spending time at an after school program could really open up new doors and give you something to do with extra time! Make a difference!

4.    Try Something New - Whether it be the gym, a new instrument, a club, or a sport, trying something new is never a bad option. You can meet new friends, get active in a community, and just have fun! There are so many options that there HAS to be something right for you! Don’t be afraid to expand your horizons.

5.    Take a Nap - If you get bored, take a nap. You probably need it! Most young adults and Teens don’t get as much sleep as they need. Between homework, school, activities and everything else us teens do, sleep is often overlooked. Next time you’re bored, just catch a little shut eye.

6.    Fuel Your Imagination - For me, whenever I get bored, I start to write a story and it usually gives me a constant flow of thought where soon enough I forget that I am bored. Unfortunately for me, I usually start a story, don’t finish and then start a new one the next time I am bored. One day I learn to finish one! But you should try it!
 

7.    Act Silly - Whenever I was home alone in the house, or even now when I am alone in my dorm room, I blast music and jump off my bed and dance or sing in the mirror. It can waste time but yet you still have fun and get to act like a kid.

8.    And finally….GO OUTSIDE! - With the past week being absolutely beautiful, it gives hope that the upcoming months will be as well. Whether it is snow, rain, sun, or wind, you should go outside and have some fun. Build a snow man, jump in a puddle, go swimming, or fly a kite. No matter the weather, there is always something to do. Leaving the computer for an hour or so, taking a break from homework, or just getting out of the house could really change your mood!
Just remember, being bored is your choice. There is always something to do, you just need to find it!! And if you’re a junior or senior girl and you’re ever bored you can always check out www.distinguishedyw.org and find a whole new world that will ALWAYS keep you entertained!

Allii Fontaine is a college freshman at Elmira College in Elmira, New York majoring in Nursing with a Pediatric tract. Originally from Burrillville, Rhode Island, Allii was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Rhode Island for 2011. Learn more about Allii here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment