Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Be Studious - by Chloe




My parents are both educators, so school was always an important part of my daily life. They always stressed that it is a privilege to be able to afford a good education and that my brother and I should work hard and do our best. My parents have instilled in my brother and I the importance of being studious.

Being studious is not necessarily about getting straight A’s or graduating with honors, and studious people are not always the smartest or the “nerdiest”, they are just people who work hard and have a successful work ethic. As I have worked my way through high school and have just recently finished my first year of college, I have learned that being studious has much more to do with personal standards. I have learned that procrastinating and stress prevent me from being studious because they disable me from being able to turn in my best work. Being studious has everything to do with never settling for less than your personal best work and allowing for the time to create it.

            Here are just a few tips for how to BE STUDIOUS:

1. Work ahead: Do not procrastinate. Sometimes it may feel necessary to work on things until the very last minute, but it will save you a lot of stress and earn you a lot of sleep if you develop a system of always being a few steps ahead. Getting behind is like GPA murder, so staying ahead gives you a little bit of wiggle room if one week is especially stressful.
2. Set goals: If you have a grade in mind or a certain percentage of improvement it will help motivate you to work hard.
3. Never settle for less than your best: If you turn in something that is sub-par because you ran out of time at the last minute you risk doing as well as you could have.
4. Sleep is not a waste of time: Getting enough sleep helps you to do your best work. No one works well on 2 or 3 hours of sleep, so don’t feel guilty about taking a nap if you are too exhausted to think. I have had to learn that naps can be a good use of a half hour, because they can make you much more productive later.
5. Don’t compare yourself to others: Being studious has nothing to do with anyone else. Do YOUR personal best and know that is good enough. It doesn't matter what anyone else can do or what grade they got. Focus on your own improvement.

      Chloe McLaughlin is a college freshman at Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Indiana majoring in Church Music and Christian Worship. Originally from Frankfort, Indiana, Chloe was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Indiana for 2012. Learn more about Chloe here

No comments:

Post a Comment