Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Make Everyday Valentine’s Day - by Ali




Do I have a date for Valentine’s Day? Why yes, thanks for asking. February 14th.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I’m going to be completely honest. I am not a fan of the holiday. It is a strange coincidence that I just so happen to be single this year J but even when I was in a relationship during Valentine’s Day, I felt the same.

Ever since the Valentine’s parties at school came to a sad, tragic, you’re-too-old end, I haven’t really seen much of a point. Yes, Valentine’s Day is a day to show love and admiration to those you care about but shouldn’t that be everyday? It’s sad to think that for some couples, Valentine’s Day is the only day they do something nice for each other or go out on a date. Why should one day of the year be dedicated to being spontaneous and romantic? Everyday should be this way!

I walked into Wal-Mart the other day and was instantly greeted by aisles and aisles of boxes of chocolate, flowers, jewelry, teddy bears that said, “I love you beary much,” and candy upon candy upon candy. Now, I love candy and flowers just as much as the next girl but really? Is all of this necessary?

I am not by any means trying to insult anyone’s views on the Valentine holiday with this blog post. However, I’m more so saying that in my opinion, everyday should be treated as though it is Valentine’s Day. Show compassion, admiration, spontaneity, and love to everyone that you care about all the time. Overuse “I love you.” Who says you can’t shower the ones you love with gifts and praise on a regular basis? Make everyday Valentine’s Day. 


Ali Houser is a college freshman at The University of Minnesota – Twin Cities in Minneapolis, Minnesota majoring in Dental Hygiene. Originally from Beresford, South Dakota, Ali was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of South Dakota for 2012. Learn more about Ali here!

No comments:

Post a Comment