Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Distinguished Always - by Sydney

First off, I would like to give a huge thank you to all the wonderful people that are a part of Distinguished Young Women, special shout out to Bob McClory, my Fabulous Fenton Family, and of course all of Mobile, and the gracious hospitality I was lucky enough to receive while there for National Finals last summer.

I will be honest, I am a very busy person! I will be playing two college sports and taking 16 credits next semester, my only sister is getting married next month, and I have spent my summer working three jobs, including interning in Alaska’s Governor’s Office. A day in the life of a has-been right?

However, despite my chaotic lie, there isn’t one day that I don’t think of my experiences as the Distinguished Young Woman of Alaska for 2011. It was an absolute honor to represent my state, and it truly is a life changing experience. The title will stick with me for the rest of my life, and I am proud of it.


Often, if I am nervous about something, or feel-ill prepared, I think to myself “If you can dance in the front row at National Finals in heels, you can do this!”  (I had to be front row, darn alphabetical order. AND I had no dance experience before Distinguished Young Women) Or, if I feel the jitters before a college presentation, I remember that I won interview at the state and national levels.
 
Now is my time to pass on the same confidence to all of you readers; we are all very distinguished young women, at the core of our beings. Everyone has a God given talent, to be used for a purpose.

Einstein once said:
“Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it’s whole life believing it’s stupid.”

Sometimes we just need that little reminder that we are special, and that will give us the confidence to do things we never imagined.  

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. – Isaiah 61:1
 
Xoxo,

Sydney 



Sydney McIntosh is a student at Nyack College in Nyack, New York. Originally from North Pole, Alaska, Sydney was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Alaska for 2011. Learn more about Sydney here!

No comments:

Post a Comment