Friday, March 2, 2012

Having Fun on a Budget - by Alessa

In today’s society there is so much pressure put upon us. Too often I think that many of us get caught up in what we are doing and forget to have a little fun.

Being a college student, I tend to think that sometimes I cannot afford to have fun because I never seem to have money or the time.  So here is a list of some quick and (almost) free ways to have some fun!

My top 5 favorite ways to have fun:
  1. Go for a walk. Preferably with friends. When my friends and I are bored or just need to get out of the dorm, we will take a walk across campus. It’s a great way to clear your mind and you are even getting a little bit of exercise! Not to mention, I am sure you and your friends will share a few laughs! 
  2. Arts and crafts. You are never too old to make tissue paper flowers or color in a coloring book. I love just sitting at my desk doodling nonsense just to take a few minute break from everything I have going on. 
  3. Volunteer. On Friday afternoons, my friends and I participate in an activity called Feel Good Fridays. Through this program we have the chance to volunteer at places in the community. My favorite are the after-school programs. We got to play board games, read books, play on the playground, and almost any other activity you could think of. It is always such a blast, I feel like a kid again!
  4. Make breakfast/lunch/dinner. My friends and I are on a kick of making pancakes for breakfast. Can you say YUM? We get to spend Saturday mornings in the kitchen talking, laughing, and making (and only burning a few ) pancakes. It is usually the highlight of my weekend. 
  5. Game night. Apples to Apples, Life, Uno, just to name a few of my favorites.

Can you think of more ideas?  There are endless possibilities to having fun!

Alessa Strelecki is a college freshman at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa majoring in Secondary Education and Mathematics. Originally from West Des Moines, Iowa, Alessa was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Iowa for 2011. Learn more about Alessa here!

No comments:

Post a Comment